If nothing matters but the weekend, you better plan it out. Patch is here to help by spotlighting some of what's going on Friday, Saturday and Sunday in and around Oak Forest.
Residents with unused or expired prescription medications are invited to turn them in for safe disposal Saturday, Oct. 26, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Midlothian Police Department, 14801 S. Pulaski Rd.
- Cook County Sheriff's Office (Markham Courthouse), 16501 S. Kedzie Ave.
- Orland Police Department, 15100 S. Ravinia
The National Prescription Drug Take-Back Day aims to provide a safe, convenient, and responsible means of disposing of prescription drugs, while also educating the general public about the potential for abuse of medications.
Also this weekend:
FRIDAY, OCT. 25
Halloween Fun Fair
- When: Friday, Oct. 25, 6 to 8 p.m.
- Where: Don Gorman Recreation Center, 4412 Henry St.
- What: Halloween fun including a costume contest, games, raffles, door prizes, refreshments and more!
- Cost: $5 before Oct. 21st; $8 after Oct. 21. For more info, call 708-687-8882.
Fall Family Festival
- When: 12 to 3:30 p.m.
- Where: Central Park Gymnasium
- What: Pumpkin carving, Scarecrow-stuffing*, Halloween movies, hayrides and more!
- Cost: Free. Preregistration is required. Find more info.
*The park district is accepting donations of old jeans and flannel shirts.
Electronics Recycling: The Oak Forest Green Steps Commission again teams up with Vintage Tech to recycle electronics for Oak Forest residents. Acceptable items include: televisions, computers, keyboards, monitors, cell phones, MP3 players, printers, stereo equipment, CD/VCR/DVD players, fax machines, PDAs, video game consoles, CRTs/LCDs, microwaves, computer mice. For more information, call 708-687-4050 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Free Paper Shredding and Electronics Recycling, Courtesy of Sen. Michael Hastings: Residents with paper, or outdated electronics, piling up can take advantage of a free paper shredding event organized by the folks at Sen. Michael Hastings office. From 8:30 a.m. to 12 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 26, residents are welcome to recycle:
- Electronics: Computers, Cables, Modems, Fax Machines, Hard Drives, Keyboards, Mice, Speakers, Monitors, Motherboards, Printers, Servers, Calculators, Cell Phones. *No items that may dispense hazardous fumes, liquids, or gases.
- Paper: Invoices, Tax Records, Financial Records, Legal Documents, Cancelled Checks, Medical Records, Credit Card Receipts, Outdated Business Records, Correspondence and Memos
The event is held at the senator's office, 813 School Ave., in Matteson. Find more info.
Thinking of heading into the city this weekend? Check out some Halloween festivities: Three Great Things to Do Downtown This Weekend
Check out Oak Forest Patch's Events Calendar to find out what else is going on and to add your own activities to the mix.
Want to catch a movie? Check out Oak Forest Patch's Movies Friday, which features films and showtimes in the area.