Christmas Parade and Tree LightingThe City of Oak Forest kicks off the holidays with its Christmas parade and tree lighting. The parade runs from Oak Forest High School, down Central Avenue, to City Hall for the tree lighting. After that, kids can see Santa Claus at Fire Station 1. The city also is asking residents to bring an unwrapped toy to donate to the Pediatric Oncology Treasure Chest Foundation, a children's cancer charity. A donation box will be at the fire station.
When: 11 a.m. Saturday, Dec. 14
Where: The parade starts at Oak Forest High School and runs along Central Avenue to City Hall. Santa Claus will be at Fire Station 1.
More Info: Check out the listing in the Events Calendar.
Also This WeekendFRIDAY, DEC. 13
- Letters to Santa Due: Santa's mailbox is at the Central Park Building for letters to be dropped off for $3 each. The deadline is at 5 p.m., and parents need to complete a registration form with their child's full name, age and address, so he or she will get a letter from Santa with a special holiday surprise. Check the Oak Forest Park District website for more info.
- Winter Luminaria: Hope you can join , along with our special guests The Foster and Kerkstra School Choirs will perform as part of Relay for Life Oak Forest's event at 7 p.m. at the Central Park Gazebo. Winter Luminaria bags are $10 in honor or memory of loved ones with cancer.
- Kate Sullivan Band: The concert is at 7:30 p.m. at The Carrig Pub at Chicago Gaelic Park, 6119 W. 147th St.
- Guns and Hoses Blood Drive: Donate from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Oak Forest Fire Department. Go to the city's website for more information.
- Winter Solstice Craft Beer Fest: More than 80 beers from more than 30 breweries will be available to sample from 3 to 7 p.m. at the Blarney Stone Pub. Music will be by Jason & Jackson, and tickets are $25 in advance and $35 at the door.
Boy Scout Troop 610 First Pancake Extravaganza: Enjoy pancakes, scrambled eggs, sausage, coffee and more at 8:30 a.m. at Redeemer Lutheran Church, 4955 W. 158th St. The cost is $8 for adults $8.00, and seniors and scouts in uniform are $7. Children 3 and younger eat free. Carry out also will be available.
Check out Oak Forest Patch's Events Calendar to find out what else is going on and to add your own activities to the mix.
Want to catch a movie? Check out Oak Forest Patch's Movies