What's Closed in Oak Forest on MLK Day?
Martin Luther King Day, which is Monday, Jan. 20, is a federal holiday. While most retail stores and restaurants will be open, some government and public services will be closed for the holiday. Here's a look at what will be closed in Oak Forest. Remember: Call ahead if you want to make sure you're not wasting a trip.
- City Offices: City Hall will be closed.
- U.S. Postal Service: No delivery, and the post office will be closed.
- Schools: The districts serving Oak Forest will be closed.
- Bremen Township Offices: These offices will be closed.
- Banks: Most banks in the village will be closed. However, check with your local branch to be sure.
Also This Week …
MONDAY, JAN. 20
- ALDI Job Fair: The supermarket chain will be a job fair from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. at the Tinley Park Convention Center. Check out Patch's story for more details.
- Monday Movie Matinee: The Acorn Public Library will hold a free screening of last summer's The Lone Ranger, starring Johnny Depp and Armie Hammer, at 2 p.m.
TUESDAY, JAN. 21
Bremen Township Board Meeting: The trustees will meet at 7 p.m. at the township offices. This meeting has been rescheduled from Monday because of Martin Luther King Day.
THURSDAY, JAN. 23
- The New Health Care Reform Act—What Every Medicare Beneficiary Should Know: If you're 65 or older and on Medicare, this session at 2 p.m. at the Acorn Public Library will answer questions you have about the new health care reform act.
- Irish Music Session: This free weekly musical event is at 7:30 p.m. at The Carraig Pub at Chicago Gaelic Park. Go to the pub's website for details.
FRIDAY, JAN. 24
The Smiley Tillmon Band: The band performs at 7:30 p.m. at The Carraig Pub at Chicago Gaelic Park. Go to the pub's website for details.
- Sign Up Now for Oak Forest Relay for Life 2014: Residents ready to hit the track for a good cause might have to wait to walk—but they can sign up now. Registration is now open for Oak Forest's Relay for Life 2014, to be held Friday, June 20.
- Register for the Oak Forest Fleadh 5K: The Fleadh is coming and registration for the 5K, which kicks off at 8:30 a.m. March 8, is already under way. The cost is $30 for pre-registration and $35 for registration the day of the race.