aldermen are ready to shell out more money for contract negotiations between the city, Mokena, Tinley Park, Orland Park, New Lenox and Oak Lawn for water supply services provided by Oak Lawn.
Aldermen Aug. 14 agreed to pay up $8,525 to three consulting firms to continue negotiations with Oak Lawn.
The amount represents 11 percent of total negotiation fees, with Orland Park, Tinley Park, Mokena and New Lenox picking up the remaining 89 percent of the tab, respectively.
Alderman Rich Simon questioned the effectiveness of the negotiations, asking if a resolution is near.
“Is there an end in sight to these costs,” Simon asked. “We're in the midst, just past the half-way point, of our year-long extension. The goal is to have this wrapped up by year's end? As far as I’m concerned, we've spent too much money already. Is this the final extension?”
Mayor Hank Kuspa assured the alderman that although the process has been slow, there is a likely end in sight.
“Based on the memo and the information from the last meeting I attended, we should be able to wrap this up [by year's end],” Kuspa said. “We are going to come back to council, asking council's input to wrap this up. We're going to be able to wrap this up by year's end.”
Want more Oak Forest government news? Sign up for our newsletter.
Like this? There's more where that came from: