the Illinois Tollway is putting its full fleet of 183 snowplows into action, a press release stated. All temporary lane closures have been canceled from 5 p.m. Thursday until noon Friday to help with snow removal efforts, the release added.
Before you travel, check the roads with our Traffic and Gas Guide, which provides up-to-the-minute gas and travel information, complete with current construction projects and street closures. Commuters also can call the Tollway's customer line for road updates at 800-865-5394. Call *999 on your cell phone if you need roadway assistance.
For updates of any possible delays, closings or cancellations, keep visiting the Oak Forest Patch home page throughout the day. Have any tips? Post any information you'd like to share about dangerous road conditions or accidents in the area on our Facebook page, email editor Lauren Traut at email@example.com, or leave a comment below.
Above all, remember to stay safe and stay warm.
For those driving, the Tollway stresses the following tips:
- Slow down and leave enough time to reach your destination
- Do not make sudden lane changes and always use your turn signal
- Don't follow too closely and increase your intervals between vehicles
- Remember to always wear your safety belt and ensure children under the age of 8 are securely restrained in child safety seats
- Yield to snowplows and emergency vehicles
- Don't text while driving. It's illegal.
- Dial *999 on your cell phone to report incidents
- If you are involved in a drivable property damage crash, relocate to a safe location and exchange information. Reports can be made at any Illinois State Police District within seven days. If you are involved in a personal injury or non-drivable crash, stay with your vehicle and contact 911.