Your house is packed to the gills with relatives. You just checked, and the turkey is mere minutes from the perfect temperature. The mashed potatoes are seasoned and ready to serve. Salad is tossed, candles are lit, wine is—wait a second, who forgot the wine?
What a pickle.
But Patch knows where you can go for that bottle of Merlot. We've made our list and checked it twice; these 12 places are guaranteed go-to's for your last-minute Christmas needs.
1. 7-11: The national chain's Oak Forest location will stick by its 24/7 hours, even over the holidays.
2. Starbucks: If your own homemade coffee just isn't hitting the spot on Christmas morning, Starbucks can fill 'er up. The closest java mecca (159th and Harlem Avenue) will be open from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.
3. The Foremost Liquor: My late grandfather Edward "Bud" Hosty swore by the sweet treat of a hot cup of coffee with some Bailey's stirred in. Sound good? But you're out of Bailey's? You can find it at Foremost. Holiday hours are set at 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., depending on business. If the store is slow, it might close early so call ahead.
4. Walgreens: Did someone sneak in a surprise gift for you, and you had no idea you were exchanging? We hate it when that happens. Walgreens has some great gift-cards and last-minute options. The Oak Forest location will be open from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
5. Blarney Stone Pub: You might need a little down time, post-dinner. Blarney Stone is here for you, from 6 p.m. to 3 a.m. (but call to be sure).
6. AMC Loews Country Club Hills: Every year my six cousins, brother, parents, aunt and uncle, and grandma all head out for a movie after dinner. It's a great way to wind down the night and digest at the same time. The Country Club Hills location opens at 10 a.m. and closes 15 minutes after the last show starts (usually around 11 p.m.). Call ahead to check.
7. Oak Forest Bowl: Want to burn off some calories after that Christmas dinner? Oak Forest Bowl is open from 4 p.m. until midnight. Bowl a few games and I bet the kids will sleep a bit sounder, even with their new toys glimmering across the room.
8. Kung Po House: Thanksgiving was just a few weeks ago, wasn't it? If you're tired of turkey and dressing, Kung Po House is open on Christmas Day from 12:30 to 9:30 p.m.
9. Convenient Food Mart: Need some ice for that holiday punch? Convenient Food Mart is open on Christmas. Call (708) 535-9140 for hours or more information.
10. Oak Forest Shell Food Mart: You can shop here 24 hours a day, even on Christmas.
11. Post Game Pub: Need a spot to gear up for all the games on Christmas day? The Post Game Pub is open from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
12. New Horizon Café: If the neighbor's dogs destroy your Christmas feast, like the Bumpus hounds in A Christmas Story, we've got a backup for you. New Horizon Café is open from 6 a.m. to 3 p.m., serving breakfast, lunch and dinner.